Representatives from BlackRock, Italy’s investment management industry association Assogestioni, Dutch corporate governance network Eumedion and proxy and ESG research firm Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) are among the members of a new governance expert group created by the European Commission, RI understands.
Industry sources told RI that the first meeting of the Expert Group on Technical Aspects of Corporate Governance Processes would be held on September 29. The new group has a two-year mandate.
Pending a more detailed agenda, one of the issues under discussion is the use of modern information and communication technologies in corporate governance.
The implementation of the Shareholder Rights Directive will be a key issue for the expert group, according to Joanna Sikora-Wittnebel, Team Leader for Corporate Governance, Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers’ Company Law Unit:
“The group should also advise the Commission regarding the preparation of implementing acts to the Directive (EU) 2017/828 (revising the shareholder rights directive) to specify minimum requirements concerning shareholder identification, transmission of information in the chain of intermediaries and facilitation of exercise of shareholder rights.”
It comes as the European Commission is also hosting the High Level Expert Group (HLEG) on Sustainable Finance. If or how the two groups will work together is not clear at this stage.
RI understands the following experts have been selected to the 12-member group, following a call for applications which ended on July 31:* Amra Balic, Managing Director, Head of BlackRock’s EMEA Investment Stewardship team based in London
- Rients Abma, Executive Director, Eumedion
- Les Turner, Head of Global Proxy Distribution, ISS
- Markus Kaum, Head of Department, Legal, at German listed reinsurer Munich Re
- Massimo Menchini, Director of Institutional Relations and Corporate Governance, Assogestioni
- Liselotte Hagertz Engstam, non-executive director for a number of public and private companies, whose application was supported by ecoDa, the confederation of European directors’ associations
- Antti Turunen, Legal Counsel of Finland’s Chamber of Commerce and the secretary of the European Corporate Governance Codes Network
- Christiane Hölz, Managing Director for the region North Rhine-Westphalia at German investor association Deutsche Schutzvereinigung für Wertpapierbesitz e.V. (DSW)
- Eva Micheler, Associate Professor in Law at the London School of Economics and the University of Economics in Vienna.
- Pierre Colladon, Senior Adviser in Strategy for Market Infrastructures at Société Générale
- Krzysztof Grabowski, Corporate Governance Advisor of the Conference of Financial Companies in Poland (Konferencja Przedsiębiorstw Finansowych w Polsce)
- Edwin De Pauw, Managing Director of post-trade services provider Euroclear.